Skip to main content

Memories: My Son Wants a What for Christmas?

I was catching up with a few of my favorite blogs and came across Lori Anderson's blog, Pretty Things.  Her posts can be funny, joyful, and thought provoking. Today, she posted about her son's    desire for an Elf (you know the one featured in the movie, Elf on the Shelf).  Her post made me remember when my son Victor, at 4 years old, wanted a "Barbie" for Christmas.

Yep, a "Barbie" doll.  Victor really wanted a Barbie, and asked for one constantly.  Well as you can guess, this did not bode will with DH (DaHusband).  He couldn't figure out why his tough as nails son wants a "girl toy."  He pretty much said that "we" are not getting a Barbie for our son.

One afternoon, Victor and AJ were with me in a local thrift store.  The boys went right to the toy section while I looked at getting some clothing for them.  Lo and behold, the 4 year old zeroes in on the one lonely African American Barbie left on a shelf dressed in her finest pink dress.  Victor looked at me with the biggest grin on his face as he held up his dream girl.  Of course I bought it (a bargain at $2).

Not Victor's Barbie, but close.
DH blew a gasket:  "I can't believe you bought him a Barbie!"  My wonderful son, the proud owner of a Barbie, took this doll everywhere.  Even to preschool.  This is where I learned that my son saw several little girls carrying them around and was curious as to why they were so excited about Barbies.  Can you believe it?  At the tender age of 4, my son was trying to figure girls out.

Over the course of a few days my son studied his Barbie.  By that I mean he stripped her of all of her clothing, and then proceeded to toss her abound a bit, cut the hair, and tore off the arms.  By then DH was not as upset that his son wanted a Barbie for Christmas, and my son lost interest in a toy that does nothing.

My son Victor is now 17, AJ is 15, and Leo is 12.  They still want toys that "do stuff."

Would you buy a "Barbie" for your son?

Renetha
Mom to 3 boys and
   Wife to Another!

Comments

  1. I did... Mine like you rson wanted to understand the hype. He was sandwiched between two sisters and only girl cousins until he was 13, poor kid. He did have boys from the neighborhood and then school when he was old enough. At any rate, he preferred action toys that made lots of noise and had no longing or regrets once Barbie was cast aside for some other toy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BSBP#8: The Big Reveal

Right to the good stuff..... Made with Rhonda's beaded bead, crystals, and agate rondelles. Made with Rhonda's (she made it) clasp and lampwork focal. Bracelet made with brown rainbow bugle beads supplied by Rhonda. Bracelet is based on a tutorial, Toskana by SeeBead .  I used Czech twins instead of tila or tile beads.  I didn't have enough tile beads so the twins made a wonderful substitution. Soup I started with. Thank you Lori for hosting a wonderful 8th swap and blog hop!  Thank you Rhonda for a most enjoyable soup!  To see other simmering soups and creations visit the BSBP blog for the list of participants (about 500)! Renetha

7th Bead Soup Blog Party: 1st Reveal!!!

Here is a pic of my final design for the 7th Bead Soup Blog Party , hosted by Lori Anderson of Pretty Things.  It was a lot of fun, and I still have about 50% of party goer blogs to visit. Last minute additions:  Working with leftover soup!  Bracelet made with gorgeous teal agates.  I love the clasp.  I didn't know it was a clasp until it stuck to some metal chain.  Investigating further, I found it was a magnetic clasp.  How cool is that?  Jayashree sent me a wonderful soup.  Believe it or not, I still have more soup!  Stay tuned for more. Now, what to do with the brass stampings..... Just added a few swarovski pearls and walla!  Dangle earrings! Now it is time for me to show off some of what I made with the bead soup from Jayashree Paramesh, Nchantme . The funny thing is, I am not done yet.  I have soup leftover.  I will post more, if I have time. Don't forget to stop by Jayashree's blog to see what she made with the soup I sent h

One Crayon Color Challenge Reveal!

My favorite color as a child was bittersweet orange.  Sally Russick of The Studio Sublime came up with idea for a blog hop/challenge just using one color (and its various hues) from a basic crayon box. I managed to finish two bracelets and a necklace.  The top bracelet is a right angle weave orange seed beads embellished with 3mm cubes in shades of orange.   The necklace is done with orange cat eye beads, fire opal crystals, adventurine, and ice beads in shades of orange.  The second bracelet is a leather wrapped, copper bangle which used up most of the leftover beads.  This was a lot of fun! Hosted by: Sally Russick http://thestudiosublime.com Red Therese Frank http://theresestreasures59.blogspot.com Rochelle Brisson http://acreativechelle.blogspot.com Lisa Lodge http://pineridgetreasures.blogspot.com Malin de Koning http://beadingbymalindekoning.blogspot.com Bobbie Rafferty http://beadsong.blogspot.com Orange Linda Landig http://LindasBeadBlo